The History of the Museum d’Orsay in Paris
After the Louvre, the Museum d’Orsay is the most famous museum in Paris. It’s hard to believe that this light-filled building with a collection of amazing art was once a train station, but it was.
The original rail station was built by Victor Laloux and inaugurated in 1900 for that year’s Universal Exhibition. The first ever electric trains in France terminated at d’Orsay. The station was closed in 1939, a victim of progress as newer and bigger stations were built in Paris.
The structure was registered as a listed and protected building in 1978. The Museum d’Orsay opened on the site in December 1986. The museum was dedicated to housing works of art created during the period of 1848 through 1914. The vast collection containing paintings, pastels, sculptures, furniture and objets d’art, photography and documentary objects reflect the richness and diversity of this era.
The museum has a great restaurant and gift shop on site. Audio guides are available in many languages.
Museum hours: Winter: 10 a.m.- 6 p.m., Sunday: 9 a.m.- 6 p.m. Summer: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m., Late Night: Thursdays until 9.45 p.m.
Closed: Christmas day, May day (May 1st), and New Year’s day
1, rue de Bellechasse, 62, rue de Lille, Paris, 75007
33 1 40 49 48 14 – Groups: adults 33 1 45 49 16 15
|24, 63, 68, 69, 73, 83, 84, 94|
Hotel “Stayability” Index
(Five is the highest rating possible)
Visit the official Museum d’Orsay website.