Paris, the City of Light, is brimming with world-famous landmarks and attractions. However, for those seeking to explore the lesser-known side of the city, there are countless offbeat and interesting experiences waiting to be discovered. Here are ten unique activities to enjoy during your visit to Paris, offering a fresh perspective on this captivating city.
- Explore La Promenade Plantée: Located in the 12th arrondissement, La Promenade Plantée is an elevated park built on a former railway line. Stroll along this green oasis and enjoy beautiful views of the city, hidden gardens, and unique architectural perspectives.
- Discover the Paris Sewer Museum (Musée des Égouts): Take a fascinating underground tour of Paris’s sewer system at the Paris Sewer Museum. Learn about the history, engineering, and importance of this often-overlooked aspect of the city’s infrastructure.
- Visit the Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature: This quirky museum, dedicated to hunting and nature, showcases an intriguing collection of art, taxidermy, and historical artifacts. It’s a unique and thought-provoking experience for visitors interested in the relationship between humans and the natural world.
- Step into the world of Deyrolle: This historic taxidermy shop and curiosity cabinet is a hidden gem in Paris. With an impressive collection of preserved animals, insects, and curiosities, Deyrolle offers a unique window into the world of natural history.
- Wander through the Village Saint-Paul: Tucked away in the Marais district, the Village Saint-Paul is a charming, cobblestone courtyard filled with antique shops, art galleries, and quaint cafes. It’s the perfect spot to unwind and escape the city’s hustle and bustle.
- Attend a show at the Théâtre des Bouffes du Nord: This intimate, atmospheric theater, founded in 1876, is known for its innovative productions and diverse programming. Catch a show and experience the creative side of Paris’s performing arts scene.
- Explore the Marché aux Puces de Saint-Ouen: The largest flea market in Paris, the Marché aux Puces de Saint-Ouen is a treasure trove of vintage finds, antiques, and unique collectibles. Spend a day browsing the eclectic stalls and uncover hidden gems to take home as souvenirs.
- Visit the Paris Catacombs (Les Catacombes): Step off the beaten path and into the eerie underground world of the Paris Catacombs. This labyrinth of tunnels is filled with the remains of millions of Parisians, creating a haunting yet intriguing experience.
- Take a Street Art Tour: Paris is home to a vibrant street art scene, with works by renowned artists such as Invader, Shepard Fairey, and C215. Join a guided street art tour to discover the city’s urban masterpieces and learn about the artists behind them.
- Relax at the Jardin du Rosaire: Perched on the hill of Montmartre, the Jardin du Rosaire is a quiet, hidden garden offering stunning views of Paris. Pack a picnic and spend an afternoon in this peaceful sanctuary, away from the tourist crowds.
While the iconic landmarks of Paris are undoubtedly worth visiting, exploring these offbeat and interesting activities will provide a unique and memorable experience during your trip. Discover the hidden gems of the city and immerse yourself in the lesser-known charms of Paris.